Can you safely cook chicken breast from frozen? There is always the possibility of having a frozen chicken you forgot to thaw before making a meal with it, there will always a time when you forgot to thaw anything and dinner is in the next one hour and how you cook your chicken will decide how the flavour turns out to be.
When cooking chicken straight from the freezer then you want to cook for 50 per cent longer than you would when it’s unfrozen. It is also best to avoid cooking your frozen chicken with bones from frozen, this is because the core centre of the chicken will not reach a high enough temperature to cook evenly.
There is no reason to thaw chicken breast if you strapped for time, you can have this cooked safely provided some rules are followed, not every method is safe for cooking your chicken breast directly from the fridge.
There are lot’s of concerns when it comes to cooking frozen chicken breast without thawing it, this shouldn’t be a difficult process and in this article, you will discover how to cook frozen chicken breast conveniently and safely.
Can you cook chicken from frozen?
Yes, you can safely cook your chicken without getting it thawed as long as you follow a couple of general guidelines to keep your chicken healthy and allow you to spend less time in the kitchen. You should also use your stovetop or oven to increase your cooking time by at least 50% and with the right method, you can easily skip the thawing part and enjoy a fully cooked, safe to eat chicken.
How long do you cook frozen chicken breast?
If you are cooking frozen chicken breast directly from the freezer without thawing it first then you might want to cook it for 50 per cent longer than you would have done with unfrozen, unfrozen chicken usually takes 20-30 minutes which means with frozen chicken breast you are looking at 30-45 minutes and this also depends on the size of the frozen chicken you need to cook.
How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts
Cooking frozen chicken saves lot’s of time if you need to make a meal without prepping or simply forgot to get the meat thawed, frozen chicken breast can easily be baked in the oven or cooked over a skillet and still taste flavourful and delicious. If you are cooking your frozen chicken breast, below are 2 simple methods to get it done.
Method 1: Baking The Chicken In The Oven
If you are making use of this technique and plan to prepare multiple frozen chicken breast, they must be separate, not to be frozen together in a single slab.
- Find a broiler or a pan that has a raised bed to make this convenient and you can also set a roasting rack over a regular pan, this pan will allow the juices to drip down as the chicken cooks.
- Cover the broiler with aluminium foil, this will help the chicken cook faster and keep the pan clean
- Preheat over to 350 F
- You should brush the frozen chicken breast with olive oil, mustard, melted butter or yoghurt and also season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper if you wish. Other optional methods include topping it with a mixture of seasoned breadcrumbs and grated parmesan
- Bake the frozen chicken breast for 30 to 40 minutes
Method 2: Cooking The Chicken In A Skillet
This is a common method with frozen chicken breast, it is quick and saves lot’s of time if you forgot to get it thawed earlier.
- Dice up the frozen chicken, you can go for a stovetop to enable you to sear and cook the frozen chicken breast whole but dicing or slicing into strips will make the cooking of your frozen chicken breast faster.
- You can have it thawed a bit in the microwave to make cutting it into pieces easier
- Season the chicken afterwards, you should apply a seasoning mix, sauce, salt and pepper rub before freezing the chicken or while cooking.
- You can also cook the chicken directly in a broth to add more flavour and you can prevent the meat from drying out.
Chicken can be cooked in many ways even if it’s frozen, however, you should remember not all methods are considered safe and also the temperature requirement and the formation of bacteria on your food should be put into consideration when choosing a method for cooking frozen chicken. Above are two healthy methods you can use to cook your frozen chicken breast when it’s too late to have it thawed.